Plastic has taken over our world. Take a look around you. That water bottle, Starbucks coffee cup, your Walmart lunch bag is all plastic that eventually gets thrown away and becomes plastic waste in our landfills, oceans and event the streets we live on. There are many ways to avoid the high usage of plastic. Below are just a few ways you can make a difference and reduce your plastic footprint:
1. Bring reusable bags to the grocery store. Most single-use plastic bags end up in landfills and hardly get recycled. A single person who uses reusable bags for an entire year can save over 365 plastic bags.
2. Drink your coffee in a reusable stainless steel or BPA free mug when you visit the coffee shop. Starbucks uses a whopping 2.3 billion paper cups a year! Plus, you can get a $0.10 discount for using your own cup.
3. Bring a reusable water bottle with you filled up with fresh water from home and use drinking fountains or bottle refilling stations to fill up throughout the day and stay hydrated.
4. One simple way to help keep plastic waste out of our ecosystem is to avoid using plastic straws. It’s that easy!
5. If consumer products are offered in boxes as well as bottles, buy boxes. Cardboard is more easily recycled and is biodegradable.
6. In addition, many consumer products are offered in glass as well as plastic. For example, peanut butter, jam and spaghetti sauce can all be found in glass. On top of that, you can clean and reuse that glass jar for other foods or use them for fun art projects.
Let us know what other ideas or ways you help reduce your plastic footprint by commenting below.