Take This Quiz and Have a Chance at Winning a Ban the Bottle Gift Basket!
As Americans continue to consume over 50 billion plastic water bottles every year, we must continue to inform those who have not been exposed to the ill effects of bottled water on our environment, our pocketbooks, and our health. Sadly, many Americans do not know the life of a plastic water bottle and the harm it imposes.
Luckily, there are many non-profit organizations along with schools and colleges taking the stand against single-serve plastic water bottles.
Do you know your water facts? If so, take this quiz and post your answers in the comment box. Whoever answers all 8 questions correctly first will receive a Ban the Bottle gift basket! Correct answers will be posted Tuesday, August 21 along with the winner!
1. Some bottled water companies, such as Aquafina and Dasani, come from a municipal source and are, in fact, bottled tap water.
True or False
2. What percentage of plastic water bottles end up in landfills each year?
3. Which university has banned the sale of plastic water bottles throughout their campus?
a. University of Portland
b. University of Connecticut
c. Michigan State University
d. Colombia University in New York
4. In the United States, bottled water is more highly regulated for quality than tap water.
True or False
5. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, if you drink your daily recommended 8 glasses of water per day from the tap, it will cost you 50 cents per year. If you choose to drink from bottled water only, it can cost you up to:
6. The majority of bottled water does not contain optimal levels of what ingredient necessary for proper development?
7. Which state in the U.S. is currently awaiting review of the bylaw that will ban single-serve plastic water bottles?
b. Rhode Island
d. New York
8. Which compound is commonly found in plastic water bottles that have been a concern to human health?
a. Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
d. Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)