Although Ban the Bottle strongly promotes the reduction/elimination of bottled water sales and purchase as the first choice, businesses and consumers still buy and sell bottled water. When that is the case, there is a another solution which follows the initiative of reducing/eliminating plastic bottled water waste within our environment: Recycling.
If you do make the decision to purchase bottled water, read these stunning facts and realize the importance of recycling and how simple of a solution it really is.
1. Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour with most of them being thrown away.
2. Recycling plastic saves twice as much energy as burning that same plastic in an incinerator.
3. If you choose to throw your plastic into the ocean consider this: plastic thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures a year. As you may know, there is a such thing as the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch” that is twice the size of Texas and floats in our world’s water somewhere between San Francisco and Hawaii.
4. If you choose to recycle your plastic, then you are saving three to give times the energy generated by waste-to-energy plants.
5. According to experts, recycling one ton of plastic saves the equivalent of 1,000–2,000 gallons of gasoline!
So think about these facts the next time you are faced with the decision to recycle your plastic or not!